Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Lord of a Shattered Land by Howard Andrew Jones

“He is the lord of a wealthy land.” 

Antires corrected her. “He’s the lord of a shattered land. The Dervans destroyed Volanus.”





This book reminded me of old school historical adventure tales mixed with old school sword and sorcery, while at the same time feeling like something new and its own thing.


The Dervans thought that Hanuvar perished during the siege of Volanus, but he survived and in these fourteen tales he fights to reunite his people. He faces Dervan soldiers, monsters, sorcerers, and spirits. As Hanuvar has his adventures we learn more about his world, its history, and its people. As exciting as the adventures are, the characters are a big reason why I like this book so much, characters on all sides of the conflict.


There’s an interesting variety of stories and although each one is a separate tale; they also move a larger narrative forward. Also, the final story does a great job of bringing threads from previous episodes together while at the same time setting things up for the next book. 


When I read that the author said Hanuvar was inspired by Hannibal and the Punic Wars, I listened to some episodes of the Hardcore History podcast before reading the book. Episodes 21-23, titled Punic Nightmares I-III cover the wars, Hannibal, and the destruction of Carthage really well. While you can enjoy this book without knowing Hannibal’s history, listening to those episodes really added to my enjoyment of the book as I was reading and spotting some of the parallels. 


The map that’s included, the “historical” notes between chapters, and the “historical” footnotes all added to the impression that I was reading the chronicles of a great hero. I’m really looking forward to the further adventures of Hanuvar.


 

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Lovely review. The original Hanuvar tales in "Tales from the Magician's Skull" are how I discovered both the character and HAJ, so it's been great to see this new series launch.

    BTW if you think you'd be interested in review new issues of an S&S magazine, one of which features an original Elric story by Michael Moorcock, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for the nice comment! I discovered HAJ through the Whetstone Discord server. As a S&S fan and as a fan of Michael Moorcock, I would love to review any new issues of a S&S magazine!

      Delete
    2. Cool! Drop me a line here and I'll respond with arcs, a press release and etc. https://newedgeswordandsorcery.com/contact/

      Delete
    3. Thank you! An email has been sent.

      Delete

Books I Read in April 2024

Three books this month.  The Fisherman by John Langan (Word Horde, 2016) A quiet horror story about loss, loneliness, and grief told in thr...