Sunday, June 30, 2019

My Father and Reading


In the past, when I would think about my father, I would usually think how different we were. Now that he’s passed away I’ve been thinking about our similarities. I’m pretty sure that I got my love of reading from him. 

Up until the day he died, my father always had books around the house. He was always reading something. I have lots of books around my place now and I’m always reading something. 

When I first started reading books I started with short stories. I’m pretty sure that I checked out every collection of science fiction short stories from my high school library. 

One day my father took a look at one of the collections I was reading and recognized the authors. My father read a lot of science fiction when he was younger. He pointed out one author and told me to be sure to read that one, that I was sure to like it. This was during a phase when I was disagreeing with my father a lot so I saved the story for last. When I got to the story I was hesitant to read it. But I did. And I loved it. It was the best story in the book. 

Next: Education of a Wandering Man




No comments:

Post a Comment

Books I Read in March 2024

  Sword & sorcery, two Irish authors, a book on writing, and a comic book this month.  The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard (Berk...