Sunday, December 5, 2021

Ten Things I Learned from National Novel Writing Month 2021

 “Finish things.” - Neil Gaiman



This year was my fourth year participating in November’s National Novel Writing Month. I had three goals this time. Beat my previous year’s word count, write every day, and finish a story. 


So how did I do? Well, I beat my word count by the 15th, wrote every day (some days more than others), and I finished a story. Now technically the story isn’t really finished. It’s a first draft. A pretty rough first draft so it needs plenty of work. But it still feels good. 


While I’ve learned something from each year’s experience, I feel like I learned the most this year. So here are ten things I learned from participating in NaNoWriMo 2021. 


One: I’m a plantser.


A “planner” believes in rigorous preparation and a “pantser” believes in hardcore spontaneity. A “plantser” is somewhere in between. While I didn’t have everything plotted out in detail this year, I didn’t jump in blind either. I had a goal in mind and a number of story beats that I knew I wanted to hit. I found that this helped me with keeping forward momentum and it allowed the freedom for new ideas to develop. This kept me interested. 


I’ve spent way more time in my life thinking about stories instead of sitting down and writing them. When I did sit down to write I didn’t finish. I either lost interest or I wasn’t sure where I was going and gave up. Now I have a better idea of how much I need to figure out before sitting down to write. 


Two: Using a timer can help you be productive.


I learned about this method last year. Set a timer and don’t stop writing until it goes off. If you stop writing, stop the timer. This method worked really well the first couple of times I tried it out. I started off small, just fifteen minutes. Then I went from thirty minutes to an hour. My problem in the past was that I wasn’t doing it regularly. I tried it again last month and was more consistent. Funny thing is, after seven days I stopped using the timer. I found that I didn’t need it anymore!


Three: Write fast, edit later.


Don’t second guess yourself. Unsure about including a scene? Include it. Can’t decide between which way to word something? Write down both ways. The most important thing is forward momentum. You can always cut stuff later. 


Four: Talk to a writing buddy.


Whether it’s in person or online, talking to someone who is also writing can be motivating. Even just reading comments from others who are sharing their struggles and accomplishments. 


Five: Hemingway was right when he said, “Always stop for the day while you still know what will happen next.”


I’m familiar with this advice but it didn’t have an impact until now. Maybe because I wasn’t so focused on finishing a story until last month. Since I had a number of story beats worked out ahead of time, and because I learned new things as I was writing, whenever I stopped for the day, I knew what would happen next. I felt good and it left me motivated to jump in the next day. 


Six: You need a goal. 


This is pretty obvious of course. The most common goal is a daily word count. I wasn’t reaching the recommended 1667 words per day. I figured that was okay since I wasn’t working on a novel. My goal was to finish at least one scene per day.  It left me with low word counts but I felt a sense of accomplishment after completing a scene every day. The downside to this was even with just working on a short story, I was behind at the end of the month. I think a word count goal is something I still need to consider. 


Seven: Take notes as you write.


This helped me stay in writing mode.  While I was writing I would get new ideas or think of ways to improve previous scenes. Instead of stopping the flow by tinkering with previous scenes or starting something new, I’d make a note on the document somewhere or add to a list in a notebook I kept by my side. 


Eight: Find a way to stay organized that works for you.


After a few days and trying different things, I found myself working between two documents and a notebook. The first document consisted of the story draft, character names and notes, place notes and history, and conversations. The second document consisted of a general outline and list of story beats. The notebook consisted of anything that popped into my head, for example, background information, small details to add, and notes of inconsistencies to address later. 


Nine: Find a workflow that works for you. 


My main rule was this: When working on the draft, stay focused on the draft. No editing. This became more challenging the more I wrote. The longer the story got, the more the logical part of my brain wanted to create order, fix things, and tinker. This was bad for forward momentum. 


So, my other rule was I could edit before or after, either as a warm-up or as a warm-down. This helped me focus on finishing scenes and moving forward.


Ten: Read for motivation. 


I discovered pretty quickly that one of my weaknesses is writing fight scenes. Since I was working on a fantasy adventure story, I started reading Robert E. Howard again. He’s a master of action scenes. I also read Damon Knight’s Creating Short Fiction. It was an enjoyable read and I got a number of ideas out of it. 


Bonus: Don’t wait for motivation. 


You get a lot farther from sitting down and doing the work, even when you’re not motivated, than waiting for motivation to hit. Also, you’d be surprised how often motivation actually kicks in once you get started. Who knew?! Well, a lot of successful writers apparently as I see this advice given a lot. I guess some people just need to learn this for themselves.


Closing


I have mixed feelings about month-long challenges like this. On one hand, it’s a way to be productive, but on the other hand it can be stressful. Whether it’s drawing, writing, or something else, doing something creative every single day takes time and energy. 


NaNoWriMo is over. So now what? I realize I need to keep doing the things I learned throughout the year, not just one month out of the year. So far, I’ve continued to write a little bit every day since last month. I may not continue to write every day from here on out, but hopefully I’ve developed some good habits. Habits that will help me finish things. 


(Image courtesy of National Novel Writing Month)


4 comments:

  1. When you are in "thinking" mode, is there any specific place, like a room, or a chair, or a specific seat at a specific cafe, or anything like that? Just curious. Is there any external condition whereby you can tell clearly for yourself that your thiking mode is now "on". Or does your "thinking" kind of just take place at random, if you like, while you are on something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I find myself in thinking mode when I’m in certain situations. Usually when I’m on a walk. When I was living in Japan it almost always happened on my walk home from the train station after work. I thought of a number of story ideas during those walks. It never happened during my walks to the station in the morning though. My thoughts were preoccupied with the work of the day. Now it sometimes happens when I’m driving. When that happens, I turn off the radio or the podcast that I’m listening to. It also often happens when I’m taking a shower in the morning and when I’m about to fall asleep at night.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for answering the question. I find it interesting, and also useful. Walking, it seems to me, is one of the best generators of creative ideas, then. I can relate to that. I do a lot of walking lately as running isn't good for my knee recovering from medial menisus injury, and I usually listen to some audio on business topics, but after reading your reply, I might want to turn off the audio and spend time "thinking" about a new seminar organization, and new activity ideas and so on. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome! I’m sure that you’ll come up with some creative ideas.

      Delete

Books I Read in April 2024

Three books this month.  The Fisherman by John Langan (Word Horde, 2016) A quiet horror story about loss, loneliness, and grief told in thr...