I was in the mood for some Warhammer fiction and “Heartwood” by Robbie MacNiven looked interesting, so I gave it a read.
Heartwood (Warhammer Age of Sigmar) Black Library, 2017
A tale of the Sylvaneth, tree-like humanoids in the Warhammer fantasy universe. After a brutal battle against the servants of Chaos and decay, Nellas the Harvester and Branchwych of her clan encounters challenges while on a journey to save her people. An interesting mix of action, worldbuilding, and melancholy, with really enjoyable prose.
Rating: 4/5
I enjoyed this so much that I decided to check out some more of Robbie MacNiven’s work. The other stories I read are all from the Warhammer 40K universe.
Redblade (Warhammer 40K Deathwatch: Ignition Book 4) Black Library, 2015
A young and reckless Space Wolf clashes with his older pack leader as they defend a refinery in the upper atmosphere of a planet against an onslaught of orks. This does a good job of setting up the characters and situation, has some good action scenes, and a solid ending but I never got into the character and setting. I also didn’t enjoy the prose as much as I did in the previous MacNiven story that I read. That could either be because of the setting, or it could be because this is an earlier story from the author’s career.
Rating: 3/5
Blood and Iron (Warhammer 40K: Call of Chaos) Black Library, 2015
A warpsmith for the Iron Warriors, Space Marines who have turned to the service of Chaos, attempts to fuse a demon with a Titan, a massive robotic combat walker. I’m thinking that I’m just not into stories that focus on characters on the side of Chaos, but this story does have some well-done worldbuilding with a great twist at the end.
Rating 3/5
A Song for the Lost (Warhammer 40K: Call of Chaos) Black Library, 2015
Ulix, a young Imperium of Man military recruit training under harsh conditions seeks solace in the singing of the mysterious Sister D'Fey, as only her song can ease his suffering. Years later we met him again, we learn how he has changed, and we learn more about his connection to the Sister. Okay, forget what I wrote in the previous review. Here’s a story that involves Chaos that I loved. MacNiven knocked it out of the park with this one. Wonderfully dark and twisted. The prose and the creepy atmosphere really drew me in.
Rating: 5/5
The Reaping Time (Warhammer 40K: Carcharodons) Black Library, 2016
A space marine chapter of the shark inspired Carcharodon chapter is sent to a mining colony to investigate after contact is lost with a ship. Mystery leads to savage action and a brutal ending.
Rating: 4/5
Death Warrant (Warhammer 40K: Carcharodons) Black Library, 2017
As a rogue trader and her team search for an ancient artifact in a temple on a deserted jungle moon, a squad of Carcharodon space marines show up. After they descend into the depths of the temple together, something begins to awaken. An exciting dungeon crawl adventure.
Rating 4/5
All in all, these were enjoyable reads, but while earlier written stories were fine and competently written, the characterizations and the prose in the newer stories really stood out. He seems to get better with each story written. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author.






No comments:
Post a Comment