Sunday, August 30, 2026

Short Stories and Comics I Read in August 2026

Here’s what else I read this month besides the Conan and Warhammer short stories I wrote about in my previous posts. 




Solomon Kane: The Blood Countess by Steven L. Shrewsbury (Titan Books, 2026)


Solomon Kane journeys to Hungary to help an old friend whose daughter has been taken by Elizabeth Bathory, the Blood Countess. Not quite Howard’s Kane but I enjoyed the story and the use of a historical figure. It was also interesting to learn something about the term “puritan” and how it was used in the past.


Rating: 3.5/5






“A Ghost Return” by Dan Abnett (from Gaunt’s Ghosts Vol. 1: The Founding, Black Library, 2017)


Gaunt’s Ghosts is a military science fiction series set in the Warhammer 40K universe. I picked up the first omnibus after really enjoying Dan Abnett’s Brothers of the Snake (2007) last year and I figured it was finally time to jump in. This omnibus collects the first three books as well as some short stories. 


In this story set before the first book, Commissar Ibram Gaunt and his team descend into a planet in search of a shrine while the planet is being bombarded in another location. Of course, things don’t go as planned. An okay story with a definite prequel feeling to it.


Rating: 3/5







Old Moon Quarterly Vol. 6 (Old Moon Publishing, 2024) 


Another interesting mix of dark fantasy and sword & sorcery stories. I’ll post a full review next month.

Rating: 4/5






Conan the Barbarian Vol. 6: Nest of Serpents. Written by Jim Zub, art by Fernando Dagnino. (Titan Comics. 2026)


This collects issues 21-24 of Titans Conan the Barbarian. I went with the variant cover by Greg Staples. Conan and his allies wind up in Stygia manipulated by a powerful sorceress. Great work from author Jim Zub and artist Fernando Dagino, an excellent combination of narration, dialogue, and art. The story is thrilling and fast paced and the art is gorgeous. 


Rating: 5/5


Next month: Cimmerian September!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Short Stories and Comics I Read in August 2026

Here’s what else I read this month besides the Conan and Warhammer short stories I wrote about in my previous posts.  Solomon Kane: The Bloo...